Monday, February 4, 2013

STARS LEAD #2

"To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart and a free mind."
   -Pearl S. Buck 

I love this quote. This is because I have always been a strong believer in people doing thing with meaning. I know this doesn't make sense, but I'll give an example to try to explain. 


Example:
    A person should not attend a university and major in something they dislike simply because they believe they will make a fortune in the future, but then hate their job. There is not point in putting yourself through that torture. Major in something you believe in and put the true effort that is deserved. 

I believe the same when it comes to volunteer work. Don't help someone one out of pity. Do it because you enjoy helping them or in the cause and you truly enjoy helping people. If you are going to put your time and effort towards something do it because you find joy out of it and with a whole heart. If not don't bother, stay home. 

I enjoyed the Servant Leadership workshop. I like workshops because I'm fascinated with listening to others opinions, I just hate sharing my own.

After reflecting on the workshop I believe I have the following characteristics in servant leadership: 
  • Listening
  • Empathy
  • Stewardship
  • Commitment to the people
The ones I hope to obtain? Well, all of them. 

I honestly don't know about my dream job. All I know is that I want to do something with internationally helping third world countries (hopefully Central America). Ideally, I would like to dedicate sometime to working with the PeaceCorps, even if it don't get paid. I used to want to be a social worker but after taking the intro coarse I discovered it's not for me. I guess right now I'm just exploring my options. 


I thinking serving is a beautiful thing. I didn't discover this until last year. I had applied for NHS at my high school, but only to build up my resume. Turns out there are many were many requirements to stay in the program, volunteer work was one of them. We were require to dedicate at least 6 hours a month to tutoring at the local middle school. I wasn't excited about this at all. I thought I was going to hate it and I have never been the type to love kids. Turns out I loved it. Serving gives you the opportunity to work with people from different backgrounds and stories. Listening to these stories gives you insight on what else is out there. Serving others is also a two way street. As cheesy as this sounds, you do find warmth in your heart when you help someone, especially when you've been working with them one on one. I dreading the day I won't see the kids I tutor from RefugeeOne. Serving also gives you a chance to make a difference, granted its not a huge change in the global view but it is in the eyes of the child, community, person, ect you are helping. That's a big enough reason for me to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment