Wednesday, February 20, 2013

STARS LEAD #4

"Now is the acceptable time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or futre year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime."
- W.E.B DuBois

After reflecting upon the quote I believe DuBois is right. He is telling us not to waste time or hesitate on opportunity that can better our lives. He is encouraging us to be outgoing and to put ourselves out there.   I would like to think I do apply this to my everyday life, but I do not. I seems to always hesitant to making decisions. Which is a habit I need to break. 

I enjoyed our gathering on Friday. I was glad I was able to meet up with the other members and just bond. 

I agreed with the author's argument of saying technology is a distraction, but I don't necessarily believe it is ruining our lives. My phone is definitely a distraction for me. When I do my homework I sometimes have to leave in room so I won't be tempted to check it.  When I do homework on my computer I block social media websites so I don't become distracted for longs periods of time. Saying this I would be ten times more productive without my phone. To increase our interactions among each other requires technology at some times. For example, right now to increase interaction with my family, I rely on technology to communicate with them. I also believe that there is a time to put away your technology and pay attention to the people in front of you. I have a pet-peeve of people constantly checking their phones while they are eating with other people. This makes it seem like the person is not paying attention and they are not interested in the other person, and that's rude. 

I believe the article was accurate. I can relate to it because if I have a bad day or bad week, it always gets better sooner or later. I have never really thought about it, but I figured "that's just the way things go. ". I never thought to consider it as a pattern of the universe. To maintain some sort of balance I have to have a checklist of things I need to do, even for the simplest task. Having a checklist makes me feel like I'm accomplishing things in my life. My main accomplishment is to just have better time management skills. I believe once I improve my time management skills things will fall into place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment