Friday, March 29, 2013

STARS 9

I overall enjoyed giving family matters a tour. I wished my mentee was able to attend. If we were to ever do a tour again I think that doing smaller groups would be easier to handle, because there were times the group of kids got noisy. I think planning out the tour more specifically would have also been beneficially.

Carlos Wallance Leadership style: His leadership style seems to go off what he would have wanted when he was younger and what would have worked for him. I think he reflected from his own youth and found within him how he became motivated to turn his life around. He applies his real life experience with what he believes can motivate his students.

How it relates to servant leadership: Carlos Wallance has many of the servant leadership characteristics. He does listen to his students because he cares about their best interest. Wallance also empathizes with them because he knows what it feels like to be in their spot, so he can relate. Carlos Wallance is committed to see his students grow academically, and to create a better community to allow this to happen.Being aware of the situations his students face and dedicating time to help heal and create a new vision for his students is another way his leadership style relates to servant leadership.

Social Justice Issues: The social justice issue in this video revolve on education and how black males are at risk of dropping out of high school. Many students feel hopeless due to their situation and believe they do not receive justice in the school system because there is usually not someone there that can relate to them or understands them. In the video they also mentioned how some students feel they are treated differently because they are of different race from their teacher and do not feel motivated to put effort in their education.

How the school system is failing the community: It is failing the community but not serving the community. The video talked about how some teacher do not put attention to some of the students because they do not know how to relate to them or understand their background.

How to address the needs of the students: Some problems arise out of the misunderstanding that there is racism between the teacher and the students. Regardless of whether if it is true or not a teacher need to make it straight forward that they are not being racist and set standards for the students. Like Carlos said, "I teach my students everyday as if they were aiming for A's"

What I've learned that I can apply as my role as a mentor: I think Carlos Wallance leadership style is a great learning tool. He shows the importance of setting expectations for students because most of the time students don't have someone in their life setting standards or expectations for them. As a mentor I have also learned that I need to encourage my mentee to reach those expectations, because once a child sees that someones believes in them and sees they have potential they begin to believe in themselves and begin to acquire those or even greater expectations for their future. Also looking back on my own experience on education, I've always had someone there to set standards for me and to achieve my goals and aspirations, which convinces me children do need someone there to believe in them and give them a little push.

No comments:

Post a Comment